February 09, 2009

Happy Birthday to my Daddy!

February 9, 1953... my Daddy was born into this world. Today is his birthday and I want to celebrate him. He would have been 56 years old today. That seems so young to me and so young to be gone and for me to be without him. Since I am queen of "Lists".... here's a new one to read if you want... "56 things about my Daddy"

This is the last picture of "Just Me and Him." I was pregnant with Noah and he had come to Texas for a visit. I remember it like yesterday. I will never be able to let him go..."these small hours, these little wonders, these twists and turns of faith, time falls away, but these small hours, these small hours ...still remain."
Happy Birthday Daddy! 1. My Daddy called me "Chickie"
2. My Daddy was a hardworking man
3. My Daddy loved my mother till the very end
4. My Daddy believed in God and was baptized
5. My Daddy hunted everything out there
6. My Daddy worked at the railroad on trains
7. My Daddy was a taxidermist... a very good one
8. My Daddy wore Levi's and I always loved how he looked in them. I remember them starting out in the very darkest color and then ending up very faded and worn b/c he wore them out!
9. My Daddy loved his motorcycle
10. My Daddy loved to help people
11. My Daddy had a beautiful garden before he died
12. My Daddy always had dirt under his nails, even when laid to rest
13. My Daddy drove a Dodge Ram that was blue and I can still see him in it
14. My Daddy served in our church and was a deacon when I was younger
15. My Daddy had black hair and blue eyes and was a handsome man
16. My Daddy was a wonderful father to me and my sister
17. My Daddy supported me in sports and paved me a huge basketball court and built me an gigantic basketball goal that was homemade but the BEST! We spent a lot of time out there together.... Many nights with the floodlights on.
18. My Daddy always gave me his change from his pockets, sometimes he would put it on the mantle and tell me to go get it.
19. My Daddy played Jaws a lot with us in the swimming pool. He was sooo fun!
20. My Daddy was proud of me and I knew it because he always told me so.
21. My Daddy was glad we moved to Texas and so happy we are happy
22. My Daddy told me on my wedding day that they couldn't find my ring... He laughed and couldn't keep it a secret... I was upset..... they found it! :)
23. My Daddy put Nathan through it to be my boyfriend and he stuck it out!
24. My Daddy was a bodybuilder.... he looked unbelievable
25. My Daddy always got us a real Christmas tree
26. My Daddy bought me my first car and me and him went to get it together and I drove it home.
27. My Daddy would drive many miles to see me play basketball, even at a camps.
28. My Daddy liked Copenhagen and always had a ring in his pocket that was worn on his jeans
29. My Daddy was a strong and healthy man
30. My Daddy liked breakfast, lunch and dinner. Big Meals!
31. My Daddy wore flannel shirts all the time
32. My Daddy was the best PeePaw and everything I ever dreamed of as a grandpa
33. My Daddy called me a lot and sent me cards in the mail
34. My Daddy let us have kittens and puppies in the house
35. My Daddy never let us do without
36. My Daddy and I had many talks out in his taxidermy shop
37. My Daddy wanted to keep me from making mistakes
38. My Daddy caught me in many, disciplined me, gave me more chances
39. My Daddy was affectionate with me
40. My Daddy always had me sit on his knee, even when I was grown
41. My Daddy loved waking us up in the mornings, he would come in shouting "rise and shine"
42. My Daddy always told me when he liked what I was wearing and was complimentary
43. My Daddy loved talking about Noah
44. My Daddy is where I got my eyes, calves, hands, lips, drive, perfectionist about things and many inner qualities that help me in life...all these things are just like his were and I love that I have have a part of him in me
45. My Daddy always told me to save my money
46. My Daddy always told me when I was wearing too much eye makeup
47. My Daddy is a part of Noah and it is evident in many ways that make me smile
48. My Daddy was so happy when we surprised them about having Emmie Lou. That was the best Christmas for me.
49. My Daddy loved an iced cold Pepsi
50. My Daddy read his bible
51. My Daddy called me three times the day before he died. He was worried I was going into labor and was checking on me. We had a great talk.
52. My Daddy lived a short life but did a lot and was amazing at everything he did
53. My Daddy was loved and respected by many
54. My Daddy is still sooo missed and thought of everyday
55. My Daddy loved me and I loved him and we told each other every time..."I sure do love you" .... "I sure do love you too"
56. My Daddy "still remains" in me and is waiting for me in Heaven.....

10 comments:

Laurie said...

We have "a great cloud of witnesses" looking down on us from heaven. Love you friend!

The Keltners said...

Thinking of you!

Noe Family said...

Thanks for making me cry like a baby on a rainy Monday morning! How special. I know how much you love your Daddy and now I know 56 reasons why!!

Cara said...

Thank you for sharing him with us! Love you!

Amber Rader said...

What a special daddy! I know he's SO proud of you and your family :)

Shara Smith said...

This is so sweet Angie. I love that you call him Daddy, and I always love hearig the reasons that he is so special to you. Thanks for always sharing your memories. I can only imagine how proud he is to have YOU call him Daddy! Love you.

Unknown said...

What a great list, Angie - he sounded like an amazing man!

The Blakes said...

That was so incredible. I am so glad that your daddy was your daddy. He and your momma molded you into the AMAZING woman that you are. I like #56. It is going to be the best day ever when we are all in Heaven together. WOOHOO! Can you say pink flower petal houses?????

Kimberly said...

I love being a daady's girl - and I love that you are too. love you friend...

Rachel said...

What a sweet post! I never even knew him, but this brought tears to my eyes and made me wish I had known him. What a great daddy and what a blessing to have such great memories.

For The Love

For the Love.... the month for Love... what do we love? Well, from the looks of these pics... we love basketball. Things are coming to an en...